Sunday, April 09, 2023

OUR FATHER WHOM JESUS CALLED WHEN IN DISTRESS

Psalm 17 verses 1 - 5 says this;

Hear me, Lord, my plea is just; listen to my cry. Hear my prayer—it does not rise from deceitful lips.

Let my vindication come from you; may your eyes see what is right.

Though you probe my heart, though you examine me at night and test me, you will find that I have planned no evil; my mouth has not transgressed.

Though people tried to bribe me, I have kept myself from the ways of the violent through what your lips have commanded.

My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not stumbled.

This passage captures the prayers of Jesus as He went through the ordeal of being arrested, being put on trial for His life and being crucified.

Jesus speaks to His Father to ask Him to hear His plea for vindication. He asserts that His lips are not deceitful even as He asks God to examine Him and test Him. Jesus tells His Father that even under scrutiny, no evil plan or verbal transgression would be discovered.

The Lord Jesus, under pressure, had people trying to bribe Him into deviating from what His Father had commanded but Jesus was steadfast and His steps stayed on the path set for Him and did not stumble even once.

In verses 11 - 12, Jesus prayed to God as His enemies searched for Him even to the garden of Gethsemane and they surrounded Him like ferocious animals.

They have tracked me down, they now surround me, with eyes alert, to throw me to the ground.

They are like a lion hungry for prey,  like a fierce lion crouching in cover.

Facing imminent death, Jesus stayed steadfast and declared that even though He would go through the trials and the sentence of death, He would be vindicated and when He awoke He would see His Father's face.  Verse 15 says it this way;

As for me, I will be vindicated and will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness.

Bless the Lord who loved us so much that He, even though perfectly sinless, endured the bitterness of the cross to save us.

Amen.

20



No comments:

Post a Comment