Saturday, April 02, 2022

OUR LORD WHOSE ANNOINTING ON PEOPLE  IS NOT TO BE TAKEN LIGHTLY

2 Samuel chapter 1 verse 7 - 10 narrates the report given by a man who came from the battlefield where Saul, the king of Israel, had died.

Saul was described as being in the throes of death and because he did not want to be captured by the Philistine army alive, called out to the man who was giving the report to kill him. The passage goes like this;

When he turned around and saw me, he called out to me, and I said, ‘What can I do?’

“He asked me, ‘Who are you?’ “‘An Amalekite,’ I answered.

“Then he said to me, ‘Stand here by me and kill me! I’m in the throes of death, but I’m still alive.’

“So I stood beside him and killed him, because I knew that after he had fallen he could not survive. And I took the crown that was on his head and the band on his arm and have brought them here to my lord.”

This report of the death of King Saul brought mourning to the people and David was grieved deeply.

He lamented in 2 Samuel chapter 1 verse 19;

“A gazelle lies slain on your heights, Israel. How the mighty have fallen!

Saul was the anointed one of God to lead Israel and that standing was not removed from him. 

David, upon learning that the young man had killed Saul, ordered that he be struck down because he had not feared to kill the anointed one of the Lord when even David himself, while being hunted down by Saul, refused to harm him when he had a chance to do so.

Such is the anointing of God that it makes it a terrible thing  to strike those who are annointed by the Lord no matter what the circumstance.

Let us ask the Lord to give us wisdom that we might not lash out at those whom he has annointed.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment