Thursday, August 18, 2022

OUR FATHER WHO INVITES US INTO A COVENANT WITH HIM IF WE LISTEN TO HIM

Isaiah chapter 55 verses 1 - 3 says this;

“Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!

Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?

Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.

Give ear and come to me; listen, that you may live. I will make an everlasting covenant with you, my faithful love promised to David.

This passage is a full-throated invitation by the Lord to those who are spiritually thirsty. He tells them that he will give sustenance to everyone who asks whether they have money or not.

At no charge, they can get wine and milk from the Lord so He asks them why they should spend hard-earned money on fake bread and on what does not satisfy?

The Lord exhorts people to listen to Him and they will experience rich and delightful food. He guarantees that if they listen to Him, they will live and He will make an eternal covenant with them of faithful love that was promised to David.

The passage in Isaiah sounds remarkably like this passage in Proverbs chapter 1 verses 20 - 23 that says this;

Wisdom cries aloud in the street, in the markets she raises her voice; at the head of the noisy streets she cries out; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks:

“How long, O simple ones, will you love being simple? How long will scoffers delight in their scoffing and fools hate knowledge?

If you turn at my reproof, behold, I will pour out my spirit to you; I will make my words known to you.

Here, the Spirit of God is crying in the street earnestly inviting people to listen to Him and guaranteeing that if they listen and heed His reproof,  He would pour His Spirit to them and make His words known to them.

Another passage that has the same feeling is the invitation of Jesus to the weary in Mathew chapter 11 verses 28 - 30 that says;

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Bless our Lord who patiently  calls out to us so that we may listen to Him and live.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment