Sunday, January 15, 2023

OUR FATHER IN WHOM WE HOPE

Psalm 131  ( x verse 4 ) says this;

My heart is not proud, Lord, my eyes are not haughty;

I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.

But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother;  like a weaned child I am content.

Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore.

The psalmist describes four postures that we should adopt when we approach the Lord.

Firstly, we humble our hearts before the Lord and  we do not look with haughty eyes. The Lord is Himself humble and lowly of heart so it is wise to approach Him with humility.

Secondly, we should not come before the Lord with lofty intellectual notions too great for us but rather we should be simply cogniscent of how great the gift of salvation the Lord undertook to gain for us through the giving of His life on a cross. Simple gratitude before the Lord is fitting.

Thirdly,  we should be calm and content before the Lord. We should be confident in our security  in the Lord and trust in Him such that anxiety and worry do not take root in us.

Forthly, we must permanently hope in the Lord so that all our expectations and all our concerns are laid on Him and we are not led elsewhere seeking fulfillment but rather, always seeing the Lord as our only source and aspiration.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment