Monday, May 20, 2024

OUR FATHER WHO GIVES REST TO THOSE WHO ARE HIS (May 21st 2024)

The book of Hebrews chapter 4 verse 9 says this;

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God;

The Lord, upon finishing the work of creation, rested on the seventh day and instituted a day of rest for humans to emulate and this actual day of rest was a metaphor for a day that God's people could rest from their work of trying to achieve righteousness through works of the flesh but rather could now rest in the righteousness provided by God.

When Moses led the children of Israel out of slavery and towards the promised land, they harboured unbelief in their hearts and rebelled against God. The Lord swore an oath that those who rebelled would never enter His rest and they perished in the wilderness never to enter the promised land.

However, much later after the rebellion, the Holy Spirit spoke through David in Psalm chapter 95 verse 8 of a present day (today) that is available to those who remain obedient that they might obtain the promise of rest;

Today, if only you would hear his voice, “Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah, as you did that day at Massah in the wilderness, where your ancestors tested me; they tried me, though they had seen what I did.

The promise of rest to those who steadfastly believe still stands and therefore let us remain believing as people of God so that we will rest from our works just as God did from His as Hebrews chapter 4 verses 10 - 11 says;

 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

Amen.

6

From Psalm 6;

Turn, Lord, and deliver me

Because Your love remains forever

Lord hear my cry for mercy

By grace accept my humble prayer


Heal me Lord, I am in anguish

All night long I lay in tears

O Lord, my God, don't let me perish

That I may ever proclaim Your praise


No comments:

Post a Comment