Friday, January 06, 2023

OUR FATHER WHO CAUTIONS US AGAINST THE FOLLY OF  FORMING IDOLS IN OUR LIVES

Isaiah chapter 44 verse 19 says this;

No one stops to think, no one has the knowledge or understanding to say, “Half of it I used for fuel; I even baked bread over its coals,

I roasted meat and I ate. Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left?  Shall I bow down to a block of wood?”

The Amplified version says it this way;

No one remembers, nor has knowledge and understanding [enough] to say [to himself], “I have burned half of this log in the fire, and also baked bread on its coals and have roasted meat and eaten it. Then I make the rest of it into an repulsive thing [to God]; I bow down [to worship] before a block of wood!”

This verse records the Lord incredulously considering  the mindset of a person who had made an idol out of a log of wood.

The person does not have the presence of mind to recall that from half of the same log that he burned to cook his bread and roast his meat,  he fashioned an idol to which he bows down.

If one end of a log fulfils the mundane purpose of being burned to cook food, how can the other end that is left over have any sacred value worthy of bowing down too?

Generalized to the rest of our lives, are there any mundane things that we partake in to sustain us  which we then elevate to the status of idol in our hearts?

Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment