Tuesday, March 21, 2023

OUR FATHER WHOSE HELP WE NEED FOR VICTORY

Psalm 108 reads this way;

My heart, O God, is steadfast; I will sing and make music with all my soul.

Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn.

I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.

For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.

Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth.

Save us and help us with your right hand, that those you love may be delivered. 

Here, David, the author of this Psalm, proclaims the  steadfastness of his heart and indicates that the evidence of this is that he sings and makes music with all his soul and rises early in the morning to sing and play  musical instruments in honor of the Lord.

David broadcasts praise among the nations and  to the people to tell of the Lord's great love and his faithfulness.

David exalts the Lord and asks the Lord to let the earth be filled with His glory and he then asks the Lord to save his people and deliver them by His right hand.

David then hears a word from the Lord in verse 7 saying;

God has spoken from his sanctuary:

 “In triumph I will parcel out Shechem and measure off the Valley of Sukkoth.

Gilead is mine, Manasseh is mine;

Ephraim is my helmet, Judah is my scepter.

Moab is my washbasin, on Edom I toss my sandal; over Philistia I shout in triumph.” 


This enigmatic passage records the Lord pronouncing his intention to do four things when He is triumphant;

  • Parcel out Schechem
  • Measure off the Valley of Sukkoth
  • Toss His sandal on Edom
  • Shout over Philistia
The Lord then claims ownership over five places;
  • Gilead
  • Manasseh
  • Ephraim (as His helmet)
  • Judah (as His scepter)
  • Moab (as His washbasin)

The psalmist, in verse 11 - 13, says to the Lord that these places can't be accessed because the Lord has declined to go out with the armies of His people.

Who will bring me to the fortified city? Who will lead me to Edom?

Is it not you, God, you who have rejected us and no longer go out with our armies?

Give us aid against the enemy, for human help is worthless.

With God we will gain the victory, and he will trample down our enemies.

David asks the Lord for help in fighting their foes because any help they receive from human allies fails.

If the Lord helps them, they will vanquish their enemies and capture territory.

Amen.

70




No comments:

Post a Comment